Our teeth are one of the most important parts of her body. Aside from being beneficial for chewing, they also play a necessary role in speech. The different parts of the tooth include enamel, periodontal ligament, cementum, dentin and pulp.
Although they are very tough our teeth can still be damaged if not given proper treatment. Proper dental hygiene is a must to prevent dental emergencies.
Here are a few helpful tips for a good oral health.
- One of the most important parts of keeping your mouth healthy is to have a semi annual dental check-up. Dentists recommend that you have dental check-ups even if you do not have dental disease, or think your teeth are fine. This will help in preventing tooth damage that may occur. It is easy for there to be hidden decay that cannot be easily seen for example in between two teeth.
- Having a good diet is also a great help in maintaining healthy teeth. Eating foods with high sugar and starch content can aid in tooth destruction. This decay happens because bacteria feed on the sugar particles which results to an acid release. This acid dissolves the enamel which can often lead to a cavity. Eating fruits is often a better option even though they contain natural sugars. Process sugars are much easier for the bacteria to feed upon. With natural sugar there is a lesser risk of having tooth decay.
- It may sound cliche but brushing the teeth three times a day is very important. Bacteria production is immediate so don’t forget to brush your teeth after every meal. Although we are all very busy, it is important to make time for proper oral care. It is important to choose a good toothbrush because a poor quality one may not remove the small particles we get after eating. Dentists suggest a soft toothbrush which has a straight and flat-surfaced handle so that it could clean your gums without irritation.
- Flossing the teeth is also a good consideration because brushing the teeth may not be enough. You just need to slide the floss gently (up and down). Be careful not to repeat the floss to avoid irritation and bleeding of gums.
- Rinsing the mouth with a mouthwash after brushing and flossing is also advisable. However, the right product must be chosen. Choose a mouthwash that has been shown by the ADA to prevent gingivitis.
- Avoid smoking or using chewing tobacco. According to researches, smoking is a leading factor in the destruction of teeth. A cigarette has an estimated 4,000 chemical compounds. Many of these chemicals are very bad for the teeth.
Although taking care of your teeth is important, you must not be obsessive compulsive about your oral health. Anything in excess is also bad for one’s health. Being obsessed with your dental care by over brushing and flossing too often may lead to Gingivitis or a gum infection. We must keep in mind that oral health problems can be easily prevented. You just need to find time for proper tooth maintenance.
Set an Appointment Today
Hope the bunny brought you something good! Happy Easter from Morgan Dental!
Wishing you a lot of luck, happy St. Patrick’s Day! Morgan Dental
Hope you have a happy Valentine’s Day, from Morgan Dental!
Happy New Year from Morgan Dental!
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays! from Morgan Dental